Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Ridiculous



It's possible that I just watch too much reality TV and also possible that I'm a little over-cautious because of where I work. And maybe I'm just paranoid-no scratch that-we'll go with cautious :) A few weeks ago I got it in my head that it would be really easy to break into my house. By the front and back doors are panels of windows that you could pretty much just break a pane, reach around, and unlock the door. Then you'd be inside! Neither of the doors have had a dead bolt for 5 years, but I decided a few weeks ago it was definitely time. Why? I don't know. I'm weird like that. So, I proceeded to have deadbolts placed on the front, back, and mandoor in the garage. The front and back door share a key and the outside has a key, but you have to have 2 different keys to open any door. (I need more complication in my life? no.) But it usually makes no difference to me because I go in through the garage and leave the door from the garage to the kitchen unlocked and when I let someone in, I'm already inside so there ya go. I haven't had these locks very long and on the side counter of my house is a small pile of keys just waiting for me add to my key chains. It hasn't been high on my priority list unfortunately.

Last night I went to dinner and to the movies like I always do. I ran by Target to get some dog bones and fabric softner and then headed home about 10:00. I knew when I turned into my neighborhood that the power was out. I really thought nothing of it. And by the way-IT WAS POURING DOWN RAIN! I pulled in my driveway and prepared to run through the flood to unlock my front door when it hit me-I couldn't get in! My garage door is electric so that wouldn't go up and every single door was double locked tight. MAN! So I looked through my car hoping at a mature moment I might have thrown a set of the new keys in-no go. I sat it out for about 20 minutes hoping the power would miraculously return. I thought I might have to sleep in my car. I thought I might have to go to Wal-Mart and wander around for a long time. I thought about going to the gym, but by now I had on wet flip flops and soaking wet jeans.

So, I called my boss at Potter's House to see if her/her husband had any bright ideas for how to get in. Tom (who's hysterical by the way) suggested that I drive my car through the garage door. Hmmm......good one Tom! Then they suggested I come hang out at their house for awhile and see if it came back. Genius! I did just that. I had a great 2 hour visit and when I went home a little after midnight the power was back on! Hallelujah! My dogs probably thought I was looney toons parked in my own driveway but not going in!

Yes I now have the keys for all the locks in my possession, on both keyrings, and given to a few friends!!!

P.S. Don't even try to break into my house-it's way hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: