Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tuesday book review

In Contstant Prayer by Robert Benson I wish I lived next door to Robert Benson and his family. I wish I could grab my coffee in the morning and walk over and listen. I believe I could sit and listen to him talk about the weather until the Lord returns and I would be closer to Jesus for taking the time. Between the Dreaming and the Coming True will always be my favorite book of his, but this one is running a close second. Again I have to be amazed at the Lord for brining the resources I need at the perfect time. And I promise tomorrow's post will NOT be on the daily office as I know just last week this topic would have bored me to tears.

BUT this book is not just about the daily office. It is about living in constant prayer, about the ancient practices of prayer and about returning to reverence when it comes to prayer. I am so guilty of entering into his presence haphazardly, spouting off a few things, and going on about my day. And although I cherish being close to the Lord, I am not his buddy. I have just entered into the holiness, the majesty, the very door that if Jesus wasn't there to interceed for me - I'd be poof! gone. I'm so thankful to have the honor of being His, but most of the time I find the need to be much more respectful.

We are not on the same level. He is Creator. I am creation. He is Alpha and Omega. I am mortal. He breathed life into Adam and all who came after. I have yet to be breathing for 3 decades. He calls me friend. I call Him Savior. He started my heart beating and when He wants it to stop there won't be a cariologist alive that can start it again. He is the Judge. I will stand judgement. He is the Shepherd. I am a sheep. He loves me. I love him too. Maybe that's just enough for us to have in common.

Brenda

No comments: