Saturday, January 30, 2010

Question Answered

I again never really meant for my blog to become all about books, but I know it has an overwhelming theme of reading. I understand. I love when people tell me what to read and what not to read. I again am not an expert on books. Reading a lot does not make one an expert I am sure, but I do read a lot-always have. And having a long reading list complete and an even longer one still to read does not make me anything-except a reader. That said I keep getting questions on the blog similar to this one.



"I know you've read a lot of books, but what ones are the core. Like, what 10 books would you take with you and read for the rest of your life if you had to and why?" -Lisa K.



Okay, I'll answer that one.

1. I would take the Bible in the NASB and The Message (parallel edition so it only uses up one book! ha!). I love to study from the NASB and I love the way you can sense God's heart in the Message. I alternate between them all the time.

2. I would take the C.S. Lewis classics collection because you can definitely read C.S. Lewis over and over again and learn something every time.

3. I would take the Chronicles of Narnia too. Every time I've read it my longing for Heaven someday is renewed and my desire to live for the Lord today is further established. Pretty incredible for a "children's" series.

4. I would take Robert Benson's Between the Dreaming and the Coming True because it's been my favorite book of all time for more than 6 years and I feel like it's spot is secure.

5. Something of Brennen Mannings-Probably Abba's Child or maybe Ragamuffin Gospel. It would be hard to choose.

6. I would take my personal quote book that has all my favorite quotes from books that I've read for the last 12 years. It's my most treasured possession.

7. I would take The School of Dying Graces which is a true story of a man and his wife as she's dying of cancer. Entries from her journal are raw and incredible. The dying have much to teach the living and this book does it best.

8. I would take Kristin Billerbeck's Spa Girls series. I normally don't read "chick-lit" but she is so, so funny.

9. I would take Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers because seriously there has never been a better fiction book written. Ever. And it's long-bonus!

10. And it's a toss up between My Utmost for His Highest and Streams in the Desert, but I think I'll have to go with Streams. My very favorite devotional.

That would keep me entertained for a little while, but I don't know about my whole life! Yikes :) Good question. What 10 books would YOU read??

1 comment:

robert benson and ben stroup said...

I am honored that you read BETWEEN THE DREAMING AND THE COMING TRUE in the first place, humbled by your kind words about it, and grateful you shared it with your friends. Recently, after 14 years and 12 other books, I wrote the other half of it. If you send your address to my website, I will send it along to you.

Namaste —

R. Benson
www.robertbensonwriter.com
thelongpew.com