Sunday, January 3, 2010

How To Reach Your Full Potentail for God by Charles Stanley

(Thomas Nelson Book Review)
I would love to think at the end of my life I will stand before the Lord and He will say, "You did everything I planned for you to do - to perfection." I don't know if from a human point of view we can ever get this life 100% right, but I sure would like to get it a little more right a little more often.

I love to hear Charles Stanley speak and I find his books simplistically life changing. He has answers we probably somewhere in our heart already know, but we need to hear it again. I found so many comments in the book convicting. "You are not here by accident. You are not on the earth merely to live a certain number of years, months, and days and then die. You are here to accomplish a job that God assigned to you from eternity past." I loved the reminder that our purpuse is four fold: God has a plan for us, we have the gift and talents we need to fulfill that purpose, nobody else can do it, and we must establish firm committments in order to find our purpose. "If you truly want to reach your full potentail, you must have a clean heart, a clear mind, and a balanced schedule."

I read the seven areas of ongoing renewal and promptly put them on my bathroom mirror.

1. Continually reaffirm your committment to the Lord (I am committed to being obedient to the Lord no matter what)
2. Continually reaffirm your priorities
3. Reestablish your disciplines daily (say yes to the right things and no to the wrong things)
4. Reaffirm your desire to do your best
5. Rekindle your enthusiasm
6. Continually refresh yourself in the Lord (daily quiet time, prayer, meditation)
7. Revisit the vision God has for your life (choose to want what He wants)

In God the best is always yet to come and our potential for Him is still to be reached.

No comments: