Wednesday, February 25, 2009

yes and no

I so appreciate the wisdom of others, of people further in the race, of people who are already in Heaven, of people with more wisdom in a situation or more understanding of circumstances. I'm fiercely independent, but sometimes I just want to connect with people. To connect on a heart level and not just the surface. The surface is fine when you're standing in line at Wal-Mart, but I want to be surrounded by people in my life that I'm connected with. Quite frankly I don't have time for surface level conversation. I want the conversations I do have to be Heaven inspired and life changing. I know that's a lot to expect for your average every day run of the mill lunch date-but that doesn't change the fact that I still want it. I'm praying that God would strategically place people in and around my life that point me to Him, that answer my questions with the answers of His heart and inspire me to live a life more devoted to Him. I don't mean this in a "you can only talk to me about spiritual stuff" kinda way, but just that as a generality in my life the conversations that occur in and around my life will be ones that matter. It's so easy to get sucked in to gossip and worthless meaningless chit chat that demeans other people and discourages us. When someone comes up and asks what we were talking about I want to be able to say it was something worthwhile and eternal. Not just say, "Oh we were just talking," when it was something I wouldn't want an outside party to know about. Let your yes be yes and your no be no. Convicting isn't it? For lent this year I'm giving up the conversations in my life that are full of gossip and slander and taking away the time God has for me to be somewhere else doing something meaningful. You can definitely still talk to me-I'm not going to a monestary by any means-but let's have conversations that edify and encourage, that build us up and those around us. Conversations that we'd be proud for God to hear if he was sitting at the table with us or listening in on the other line. Eternal conversations and interactions.

No comments: