Monday, February 2, 2009

Return of the Prodigal Son

Thanks for reading! I'm so glad you guys liked this book. Henri Nouwen is far and away one of my very favorite authors. I highly recommend if you enjoyed this one you should read the rest too! He has so many great books. My next favorite is probably The Life of the Beloved.

Anyway, you guys had GREAT comments about the book. Basically it's a rundown of the story of the prodigal son but through the eyes of the prodigal, the older son, and the Father. It's a fantastic account of how we all fit into God's story - the good, the bad, and the ugly. Henri Nouwen goes into great detail about Rembrants painting which is also the cover of the book. (Which also hangs in my dining room if you wanted to know!). He was mesmorized by this piece and it led him on a voyage of discovery into this story.

It's about the father's challenge to the son, and the son's challenge to accept that love. It resonates with all of us no matter where we are on our journey home to the father.

A summary of the comments:
"Life changing"
"I found forgiveness from the father in these pages."
"I'm so thankful I'm not the Prodigal anymore, but that now I'm home."
"Really connected with the older son."
"I love the story in a brand new way."
"Didn't know that was Rembrant's work on the cover - I want that picture!"
"I always knew He loved me, I just didn't realize how much."

Thanks for reading! Glad you enjoyed it. Now get started on this month's book(s)!
Enjoy!
Brenda

P.S. A copy of Rembrants painting is fairly inexpensive on art.com. Just FYI!

No comments: