Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Why I Gave Up TV



I have not had a television in my home for over a year now. To be honest, it happened by accident. My house got struck by lightning and barbecued several outlets, the garage door, and the tv in the living room. I meant to get another one, but a day turned into a week and then a month. When I finally got to it on my to-do list I realized I didn't miss it.


Sure, I missed a few shows, a few channels, and the zoned out time tv afforded me. I've never been one to just lay on the couch and watch tv for hours, but it was usually on as background noise. Quite frankly my life was too noisy anyway.


I watched more tv on vacation than I have in months. Here's what I discovered.


-I don't miss the anxiety that the news produces.

-I'm not missing anything by not keeping up with The Housewives of wherever, The Teen moms and whoever else feels the need to have a "reality" show at the moment.

-I'm much more peaceful with Mozart or Bach as background noise.

-I'd still rather read a book


I'm not advocating that everyone take a sledgehammer to their 42 inch flatscreen, but I am saying you may find more peace in your life by turning it off once in awhile. I certainly have.

2 comments:

Rob said...

Amen to that, Sister! There are a few shows I enjoy, but given the choice, I would have silence, or listen to Mozart, Bach, or, of course, Mahler! It's amazing with hundreds of channels out there how little there is worth watching. Oh, and if you miss the anxiety of TV news, you can always check out NPR; at least they don't get hysterical while reporting!

Meredith Gould said...

I ditched TV over a decade ago and keep up with pop culture on the tiny silver screen (computer!) as necessary to have appropriately inane conversations about such cultural oddities as, say, The Bachelorette.

It has been so long since I've had a TV in my home that I am pretty stunned to see flat screen models and how they're treated like shrines.