Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Christian Encounters J.R.R. Tolkien A Book Review



The Christian Encounters Series by Thomas Nelson has been a great addition to my spiritual library. They're short, informative, and interesting. The facts are solid but not educationally burdensome. Emphasis is placed on the human side of the subjects leaving the reader with a great appreciation for their lives and accomplishments.


I didn't know that much about Tolkien before reading this book. I'm not a lord of the rings fan. I do like The Hobbit. I loved the stories peppered throughout this book that were often amusing.


I appreciated how his experiences in the time of World War I shaped the rest of his life.


I also loved reading more about his integrity as an author. He sought to write books telling stories that would stand the test of time. Quality over quantity seemed to be his lifetime motto.


I left this book respecting him as an author and even more as a human being.


*For Thomas Nelson

No comments: