Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Book Review The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven


(WHEW! It feels good to get back to regular Reading!!)
I was apprehensive about reading this book. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of of running by Heaven for the afternoon, having a cup of coffee with the Lover of my Soul and returning to Earth changed and transformed to face the rest of my day. That said, that doesn't happen! At least for me.
This is the story of a near fatal car accident with a father and his son. The son is paralyzed from the crash and wavers between life and death for several days. I thought the book was fascinating. The 6 year old tells of his experiences going to heaven, meeting with the angels, and even talking to Jesus.
It's a sweet story and at certain points I was even tempted to believe him. Somewhere in my desperate to connect with Jesus soul I found myself jealous of his encounters. I think he really believes that happened and far be it from me to question his experience. I don't know how God comforts people in extreme circumstances. I don't know that the angels don't come to visit when we are in need of some divine intervention. I don't know.
For me though I just don't think so. I don't think anyone has spent 90 minutes in Heaven, 23 minutes in Hell or any other amount of time anywhere except Earth.
If I walk through the doors of Heaven I'm never leaving and I don't see how someone could go from seeing and experiencing the Divine to willingly returning to Earth. It doesn't work in my mind.
That said, it's a good book! I enjoyed it and it made me mindful of the day we will live with the Lord for all of eternity.

No comments: