Monday, February 13, 2012

Cursing Cupid

Oh, calm down. This is not going to be another "rant from a single person" about how much I hate Valentine's Day. I'm not going to get on my soap box and carry on until I reach my dramatic conclusion, "Remind me. Was Jesus married?" I could. But, I won't.

In and out of relationships, the whole Valentine's Day thing makes me nauseated. It's too much red and pink and for a person who doesn't consume sugar, kinda pointless. It's just not as romantic to insist on organic strawberries not chocolate covered preferably blended into a delightful protein smoothie.

Cupid can keep her arrows. Christians can please keep their comments like, "God still loves you!" Hallmark can keep their cards and florists can save their flowers for something to actually celebrate. Oh, I think genuine love is wonderful. I just don't think we need a calendar to tell us when to love people.

Every year I'm more and more grateful for friends, single and married, who don't associate being single with the plague and don't assume I've "missed God's best" because I'm not at the bar looking pitiful.

And I especially appreciate a friend who called me this morning to say, "I know doing life alone must be hard sometimes, but trust me when I tell you.......you're the smart one."

I like to think so.



1 comment:

Meredith Gould said...

Oh please, I'm one of those certifiable people who actually got married on a Valentine's Day...to the spawn of Satan, as it turns out. Needless to say, it's not one of my fave faux holidays.