Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Pentecost Presence

 
 
And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit.
 
I learned a long time ago that you might as well tell God how you feel.  Acting spiritual is crazy making and not just for him.  Even though I so know better, I still like to think playing Hide and Seek with the Almighty could result in me winning the blue ribbon.
 
 
It goes something like this.....
Me trapped in a corner.
God saying, "Found you.  Found you.  Found you.  Found you."
 
Tiring.  And not just for him.
 
If I had to pick one piece of the Divine Trinity that's my favorite, it would be the comforting presence of the Holy Spirit.
 
Pentecost must have been awesome, especially for the disciples.  Jesus was there and He upgraded to this mystical, powerful, very present presence that seemed to whisper to everyone there that day, "you are not alone."
 
This season of this life has been intense mostly of my own making.  In the interest of telling God exactly what I think, the other day I prayed a deeply spiritual prayer that will surely be added to the next version of the Book of Common Prayer.
 
"God. Fix it.  Or fix me.  I want comfy pj's, a hammock in the shade, a fabulous book, and a hug.  I need your comfort to calm the questions and your peace to prevail.  The sooner the better.  And that's the Earthly version of soon.  Amen."
 
And I remembered the verses about the Holy Spirit.  How he comes like a dove carefully when we're fragile.  How his honest conviction kicks us in the head reminding us to keep our mouths shut and our hearts open. 
 
And most important to me anyway, how he'll wrap us up like a favorite blanket and surround us with the love of God.  Just because we asked him.
 
This Pentecost and always - He is with us.  And that's a promise.


No comments: