Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Here's to Reading - 2011



No secret that I'm an avid reader. I love the feel of a great book from the worn pages to the way it makes my soul feel when it ends. I like to share books and I love those who share books with me. There's just something so magical about the written word.

I finished 2011 having read just over 200 books. Part of the year I was still reviewing, but I nervously gave that up mid stream. I miss it, but it was the right decision.

I'm also slowly transitioning into e-reading with my Kindle Fire. I'm equally excited and sad to see reading go digital. More on that another time.

Out of almost 200 books finished cover to cover - here are my favorites!

Devotion by Dani Shapiro

Leaving Church by Barbara Brown Taylor

Take This Bread by Sara Miles

The Good and Beautiful God by James Bryan Smith

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Yoga for Depression by Amy Weintraub

Permission to Speak Freely by Anne Jackson

Living Prayer by Robert Benson

And that's it! Onto 2012!

And since you asked - I'm starting this year with. . . .

Poser: My life in 23 yoga poses by Claire Dederer


3 comments:

Rob said...

Oh wow, Sara Miles is going to be at churchofthepilgrims.org this weekend (leading a workshop on Saturday and preaching in Sunday worship.) I guess I REALLY need to read her book now!

Thanks for your list Brenda; I now have a head start on my "to read" list for 2012.

Br. Bear

Brenda said...

Thanks, I should say I don't agree with everything she says/does, but I did enjoy her writing. Also liked the connection she made between communion and feeding the hungry.

Michelle Holderman said...

I've heard some good things about The Good and Beautiful God. And I was just looking through Permission to Speak Freely on Amazon the other day. Hmm. Think I might add them to my reading list this year.

Thanks for sharing your favorites!